Third Annual Min Sook Lee Labour Arts Awards
Awards Ceremony & Fundraising Gala: November 29, 2014
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto | 6 pm
Facebook event page | Photos from awards ceremony
The Min Sook Lee Labour Arts Awards are named after Min Sook Lee, an activist-artist whose own contributions moved Mayworks Festival toward its current artistic vision: to actively seek representation of equity groups as audiences and artists. Lee also helped Mayworks focus on programming that engages new, non-arts audiences, and that challenges Euro-centric notions of art.
The 2014 Min Sook Lee Labour Arts awards winners:
- For Labour Activists who have used the arts to promote the values of the labour and social justice movements: Faith Nolan. For more information on Faith Nolan, please visit: http://www.faithnolan.org
- For Artists who have captured the values of labour and social justice in their art: Kwentong Bayan – Labour of Love creators Althea Balmes and Jo SiMalaya Alcampo. For more information on Kwentong Bayan, please visit: http://www.lcpcomicbook.com
- For Labour Unions who have used the arts to engage their membership in different ways, for example in strike prep, or for picket lines or campaigns: CUPE Local 4948, Toronto Public Library Workers Union. For more information on CUPE 4948, please visit: http://ourpubliclibrary.to
- For Outstanding Contribution to the Labour Movement: Margie Adam.
Please join us in congratulating the Min Sook Lee Award Winners for 2014 at this year’s Mayworks fundraising Awards Gala on Saturday, November 29, 2014 (details below). In addition to the awards ceremony, the gala will include a four course dinner by the East African Community Association, an exciting Silent Auction, and music by The Special Interest Group.
Saturday, November 29, 2014
Doors open at 6:00 pm
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St., Toronto
Tickets: $50 each; $25 for students, unemployed / underemployed*
Venue and washrooms are wheelchair accessible
* For more information on purchasing tickets via: